Do Rheumatologists Treat Osteoarthritis?
A rheumatologist is a physician who has specialized skills and training in diagnosing and treating musculoskeletal conditions and systemic autoimmune conditions, which can affect the joints, bones and muscles throughout the body. Many of these conditions are highly complex and continually evolve, making them challenging to diagnose and treat. Therefore, specialist care can be very beneficial.
One of the most common conditions treated by rheumatologists is osteoarthritis. This chronic type of “wear and tear” arthritis progresses gradually over time, causing joint pain and stiffness due to:
- A breakdown of cartilage, which cushions the ends of the bones in a joint
- Bony changes in a joint
- Inflammation of joint lining tissue (synovium)
- The deterioration of tendons and ligaments
What Can a Rheumatologist Do for Osteoarthritis?
Osteoarthritis is a lifetime condition that cannot be cured or reversed. Therefore, the goals of treatment are to relieve pain and improve joint function. To accomplish this, a rheumatologist can recommend a personalized treatment plan, which may include:
- Weight loss (if appropriate) – Every pound of excess body weight increases the stress on arthritic joints, especially the knees and hips.
- Physical therapy – Targeted exercises can strengthen the muscles that support a degenerated joint and shift away some of the weight burden.
- Hot/cold therapy – A heating pad or ice pack can be applied to a painful joint as needed to enhance comfort.
- Medications – Pain relievers, such as acetaminophen, and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as ibuprofen, can be taken to reduce pain and inflammation. A stronger prescription narcotic may be recommended to address severe pain that does not respond to over-the-counter remedies.
- Joint injections – A powerful anti-inflammatory medication (corticosteroid) or lubricant (hyaluronic acid) can be injected directly into an arthritic joint.
- Surgery – A surgical procedure, such as an arthroscopic repair or joint replacement, may be considered to address severe joint damage or loss of function.
If you are living with osteoarthritis, take advantage of the collective expertise of the physicians at Advanced Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine in Houston, TX. Our practice integrates outstanding medical care and comprehensive services. Contact us to schedule an appointment with a rheumatologist today.
To request an appointment, please enter the information on the form on the right and press the “Continue” button to start the appointment request process.
1Professional Building II At North Cypress Medical Center
2North Cypress Professional Building At Lakewood Crossing
3North Cypress Professional Building At Towne Lake
4Advanced Orthopaedics Memorial
What Our Patients Are Saying
Everyone here is so professional and kind. Everything was explained to me so that could understand what had to be done.
Advanced Orthopaedics is the absolute best PT I’ve ever gone through. The significance in my hip is just part of it.
Dr. Alain Elbaz is one of the most progressive orthopedic surgeons in the state. I’ve received PRP injections and hyaluronic acid injections in my aging and damaged joints allowing me to continue my daily jogging
I have been fighting chronic knee pain for ten years following a knee replacement, a bone infection, and subsequent knee revision surgery. After a number of failed solutions to pain relief, Dr. Patel introduced me to RF
I’ve been with this orthopedic group since 2014. I’ve never had a bad experience with the doctors or the staff. Dr. Drew Fehsenfeld did my shoulder surgery in 2016 and he did great!
When I started, I couldn’t put any weight on my right leg and now I can do virtually anything. While I hope to not need future therapy, this is without a doubt the place I will return to in the future.
AOSM is a very high quality medical facility. They handled my hip replacement both pre and post op with the utmost professionalism.
Dr. Mihu is the most intelligent and polite Dr I have ever visited. Her and her nurse Nicole made me feel so welcomed. I have never encountered a doctor who knew so much and asked so many important questions
I just think that this is the best health care facility to this day. I truly appreciate all the PT, so far they are consider it.
Great experience with Dr. Tanous and staff. Telling our entire family and friends about my husband Mel ‘s injury and the kind and expert care we received . Our thanks and appreciation .