PCL Repair Options from Orthopedic Knee Specialists in Houston, TX
A PCL repair may be necessary if the posterior cruciate ligament – one of four key ligaments in the knee joint – becomes torn or is otherwise damaged. The PCL stretches across the back of the knee, connecting the shin bone (tibia) to the thigh bone (femur) and preventing the tibia from moving too far backward.
Usually, a PCL injury results from a direct blow to the tibia that forces the knee to bend backward. This can occur through a fall onto the shin, a football tackle or a vehicle accident that causes the shin to strike the dashboard. Much like an anterior cruciate tear (ACL) tear, a PCL tear can affect the stability of the knee, but the latter injury is far less common. Nevertheless, the need for a PCL repair should be taken seriously. If left untreated, the damage can potentially worsen over time.
What are the symptoms of a PCL tear?
A PCL tear can cause:
- Pain and bruising, especially at the back of the knee
- Swelling and stiffness in the knee joint
- Difficulty walking
- A feeling that the knee is unstable or about to “give out”
Additionally, a torn PCL may cause the knee to droop unnaturally backward when the leg is straightened.
What does a PCL repair involve?
Depending on the extent of the damage and other individual factors, a PCL repair may involve:
- Home care – For a relatively minor PCL injury, a physician may recommend resting with the knee elevated and applying ice for 10-15 minutes every 3-4 hours. To reduce pain and prevent further injuries, the knee may be stabilized in a brace or elastic bandage. If necessary, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) can be taken to reduce swelling and provide further relief.
- Physical therapy – Specific exercises can be performed to restore range of motion and strengthen the leg muscles that support the knee. Usually, the intensity of the program will increase gradually as healing occurs and comfort allows.
- Surgery – Surgical repair may be considered if a PCL tear is severe or other knee ligaments are damaged.
With an experienced team of knee specialists on site, Advanced Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine of Houston, Texas, provides comprehensive PCL repair options, including arthroscopic knee surgery. To learn more or schedule a consultation at one of our offices in the Houston, TX, area, contact us today.
To request an appointment, please enter the information on the form on the right and press the “Continue” button to start the appointment request process.
1Professional Building II At North Cypress Medical Center
AOSM Physical Therapy
2North Cypress Professional Building At Lakewood Crossing
AOSM Physical Therapy
3North Cypress Professional Building At Towne Lake
4Advanced Orthopaedics Memorial
What Our Patients Are Saying
I just recovered from my 2nd back surgery by Dr. Mohr. I love the people there so much I just went back and saw a shoulder surgeon Dr. Fehsenfeld for cortisone shots.
Dr. Mills is a great hand specialist. He gets right to the point and is very kind to offer exercises to do to get my full range of motion back.
Doctor Brooks is the best. His advice to get lubricant injected into my knees has made my life so much better. Kudos!
Dr. Matthew Cubbage is absolutely the best Spinal Specialist in the area. After 2 successful surgeries by Dr. Cubbage myself, I have recommended him to Family & Friends and we have all had great experiences
Dr. Patel is a very good Pain Management Doctor. She is one of my favorite doctors.
My son and husband have both been seen here. The staff is very polite and helpful. Dr. Mohr performed my husband’s back surgery.
I’ve been with this orthopedic group since 2014. I’ve never had a bad experience with the doctors or the staff. Dr. Drew Fehsenfeld did my shoulder surgery in 2016 and he did great!
I highly recommend Advanced Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine whenever the need arises for great orthopaedic surgeons.
Dr. Patel is one of the best Doctors I have ever had. She is pretty good at her job. She makes it plain and simple. She is also very thoughtful. I was very glad to have met her.
Dr. Tanous and everyone at Advanced Orthopaedics are great. The surgery to repair my knee injury and the treatment afterwards were handled amazingly well.