Do You Have a Ligament Injury? Sprain Treatment Is Available in Houston, TX
A sprain is an injury to a ligament, which is a tough, flexible band of tissue that connects and secures the ends of two bones where they come together in a joint. If a ligament is stretched beyond its normal capacity, it can become damaged. The damage can range in severity from minor tissue fraying to a partial tear to a complete rupture. A sprained ligament typically swells rapidly and produces pain. Most sprains occur in the ankle, knee, wrist and thumb joints.
When to see a physician for sprain treatment
A mild to moderate sprain may resolve on its own. However, some sprains are accompanied by other, more serious injuries, such as fractures. Therefore, it’s important to seek sprain treatment from a physician if the symptoms don’t improve within two or three days, or sooner if:
- The pain is very severe
- The affected joint feels numb or unstable
- Warmth or redness develops around the injury site
- The same joint has been injured in the past
What does sprain treatment involve?
Most physicians advise their patients to begin sprain treatment with P.R.I.C.E. therapy, which includes:
- Protection – A brace or other stabilizing device can be worn to immobilize the affected limb while the injury heals.
- Rest – A few days of rest can be helpful, but it’s important to move as much as possible to minimize stiffness and deconditioning during the healing process. Crutches or a splint may be used to enhance mobility. Also, riding a stationary bicycle can provide a good workout with minimal stress on an injured joint.
- Ice – To reduce painful inflammation, a cold pack or a compression sleeve filled with cold water should be applied to the affected area for 15-20 minutes as soon as possible, then 4-8 times daily thereafter.
- Compression – An elastic wrap or compression bandage can be worn to support and stabilize the injured ligament as it heals.
- Elevation – To limit swelling, the injured limb should be raised above heart level when possible.
Over-the-counter pain relievers, such as acetaminophen and ibuprofen, may be taken to help manage pain during the recovery process, which may span a few days to a few months. During that time, physical activity should be gradually increased as comfort allows. A physician or physical therapist can recommend appropriate strength and stability exercises to optimize healing and minimize the risk of re-injury.
If you’d like to discuss sprain treatment with a joint specialist at Advanced Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine of Houston, Texas, contact us today. Our practice welcomes patients from Houston and all surrounding Texas areas.
To request an appointment, please enter the information on the form on the right and press the “Continue” button to start the appointment request process.
1Professional Building II At North Cypress Medical Center
AOSM Physical Therapy
2North Cypress Professional Building At Lakewood Crossing
AOSM Physical Therapy
3North Cypress Professional Building At Towne Lake
4Advanced Orthopaedics Memorial
What Our Patients Are Saying
I have to give everyone 5 stars from the front office and staff to Dr. Blalock and Dr. Patel all were great with very professional service.
I have been a patient of Dr. Cubbage for several years. Each time of go there, he always presents a thorough plan of care. From ordering the most appropriate diagnostic tests to making sure you understand
Dr. Mills is a great hand specialist. He gets right to the point and is very kind to offer exercises to do to get my full range of motion back.
This office did everything they could to get me in timely after a very bad sprain on my ankle. I saw nurse practitioner Stuart who is very thorough and x-rays and explaining everything to me.
I flew in for my appointment in the middle of Covid. He was recommended as a top ortho by my employer’s medical concierge team. He is incredible… surgery a breeze on my knee… zero pain the next day. His team and office staff are top notch – on par with Mayo Clinic. We are fortunate to have doctors like him…
I had been in so much pain with my back for years. It got so bad that I knew I had to do something. I went to Dr Mohr for help. I was so afraid to have spine surgery as I had heard so many horror stories.
I have found the staff to be courteous and professional. Lynn and Julie were wonderful to work with and took good care of me. And Dr. Brooks and Dr. Mack are excellent
Dr. Patel is one of the best Doctors I have ever had. She is pretty good at her job. She makes it plain and simple. She is also very thoughtful. I was very glad to have met her.
Excellent experience. The doctor, staff, office services and hospital care were outstanding before, during and after the procedure. Thank you – Heathgrades, Dr. Cubbage review
Dr. Mills is exceptional. I would recommend him to anyone