What Is a Shoulder Sprain?
A shoulder sprain occurs when a supporting ligament is overly stretched or torn, potentially allowing the bones within the joint to dislocate or separate. Usually, this type of injury arises when an arm is raised to shoulder level and excessive backward force is applied. Common causes include direct trauma to a shoulder and a fall onto an outstretched arm.
Shoulder sprain types and symptoms
Based on the nature and extent of the ligament damage, a shoulder sprain may be classified as a:
- Grade 1 sprain – The ligaments are stretched or partially torn, but the bones have not separated. Mild pain and swelling can result and possibly interfere with daily activities, such as putting on a shirt or jacket.
- Grade 2 sprain – The ligaments are fully torn, causing moderate pain and swelling.
- Grade 3 sprain – The shoulder joint is completely dislocated. This can lead to severe pain, swelling and bruising.
How is a shoulder sprain treated?
The treatment approach for a shoulder sprain can vary based on the severity of the injury. For instance:
- Grade 1 and 2 shoulder sprains are usually treated with rest, ice and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) to help relieve pain and swelling. To promote healing, a sling may be worn for a few weeks to immobilize the affected arm.
- Grade 3 shoulder sprains may require minimally invasive (arthroscopic) surgery or, if the damage is very severe, a traditional open procedure. For instance, when performing a surgical procedure known as a closed reduction, a surgeon can carefully slip a displaced collarbone back into its proper position. After surgery, the injured shoulder will be immobilized with a “clavicle strap” or figure-eight splint, along with a sling that will be worn for several weeks.
At Advanced Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine of Houston, TX, our orthopedic shoulder specialists offer a full range of conservative and surgical treatment options for shoulder sprains. We typically begin with a conservative approach, then closely monitor the patient’s progress and modify his or her treatment plan as necessary. Patients who require surgery are in good hands with our board-certified and double-board-certified surgeons, who are experienced in performing arthroscopic joint and rotator cuff repairs, shoulder stabilization procedures, minimally invasive shoulder replacements and Latarjet procedures.
To request an appointment at any of our orthopedic clinics throughout the Houston, Texas, area, contact us today.
To request an appointment, please enter the information on the form on the right and press the “Continue” button to start the appointment request process.
1Professional Building II At North Cypress Medical Center
2North Cypress Professional Building At Lakewood Crossing
3North Cypress Professional Building At Towne Lake
4Advanced Orthopaedics Memorial
What Our Patients Are Saying
Dr. Cubbage & Staff replaced a disc that had been destroyed between my 4th and 5th vertebra. This is my 4th month since the surgery in January of 2018. I was very impressed with their dedication
So I was going to get on here and brag about what a great surgeon Dr. Cubbage is. But Cubbage is only 3/4 of the picture. He’ll fix you, but Karen is the one that will care for you and heal you!
I’ve been with this orthopedic group since 2014. I’ve never had a bad experience with the doctors or the staff. Dr. Drew Fehsenfeld did my shoulder surgery in 2016 and he did great!
Always awesome. Everyone is kind, very professional and thorough. Dr Blalock and his team go out of their way to help any way they can.
Dr. Patel is one of the best Doctors I have ever had. She is pretty good at her job. She makes it plain and simple. She is also very thoughtful. I was very glad to have met her.
The surgery done by Dr. S. Patel (Actually injections) & the mild medications she has prescribed has surely made my lower back -hip-leg less painful.
Very Knowledgeable and helpful. Went in for an appt. with Dr. Elbaz for tennis elbow. Needed prp injections and they didn’t have an opening til the following week, but since I traveled 2 hrs to their office
On Nov. 22, 2017, I had a spinal injection in my lower back and it was an instant miracle in my life!
Dr. Alain Elbaz is one of the most progressive orthopedic surgeons in the state. I’ve received PRP injections and hyaluronic acid injections in my aging and damaged joints allowing me to continue my daily jogging
This Hospital/clinic is the best that will take care of your pain and ailments. I will never trust any one else but Dr. Alain Elbaz to heal my body.