What Is a Shoulder Sprain?
A shoulder sprain occurs when a supporting ligament is overly stretched or torn, potentially allowing the bones within the joint to dislocate or separate. Usually, this type of injury arises when an arm is raised to shoulder level and excessive backward force is applied. Common causes include direct trauma to a shoulder and a fall onto an outstretched arm.
Shoulder sprain types and symptoms
Based on the nature and extent of the ligament damage, a shoulder sprain may be classified as a:
- Grade 1 sprain – The ligaments are stretched or partially torn, but the bones have not separated. Mild pain and swelling can result and possibly interfere with daily activities, such as putting on a shirt or jacket.
- Grade 2 sprain – The ligaments are fully torn, causing moderate pain and swelling.
- Grade 3 sprain – The shoulder joint is completely dislocated. This can lead to severe pain, swelling and bruising.
How is a shoulder sprain treated?
The treatment approach for a shoulder sprain can vary based on the severity of the injury. For instance:
- Grade 1 and 2 shoulder sprains are usually treated with rest, ice and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) to help relieve pain and swelling. To promote healing, a sling may be worn for a few weeks to immobilize the affected arm.
- Grade 3 shoulder sprains may require minimally invasive (arthroscopic) surgery or, if the damage is very severe, a traditional open procedure. For instance, when performing a surgical procedure known as a closed reduction, a surgeon can carefully slip a displaced collarbone back into its proper position. After surgery, the injured shoulder will be immobilized with a “clavicle strap” or figure-eight splint, along with a sling that will be worn for several weeks.
At Advanced Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine of Houston, TX, our orthopedic shoulder specialists offer a full range of conservative and surgical treatment options for shoulder sprains. We typically begin with a conservative approach, then closely monitor the patient’s progress and modify his or her treatment plan as necessary. Patients who require surgery are in good hands with our board-certified and double-board-certified surgeons, who are experienced in performing arthroscopic joint and rotator cuff repairs, shoulder stabilization procedures, minimally invasive shoulder replacements and Latarjet procedures.
To request an appointment at any of our orthopedic clinics throughout the Houston, Texas, area, contact us today.
To request an appointment, please enter the information on the form on the right and press the “Continue” button to start the appointment request process.
1Professional Building II At North Cypress Medical Center
AOSM Physical Therapy
2North Cypress Professional Building At Lakewood Crossing
AOSM Physical Therapy
3North Cypress Professional Building At Towne Lake
4Advanced Orthopaedics Memorial
What Our Patients Are Saying
I have been a patient of Dr. Cubbage for several years. Each time of go there, he always presents a thorough plan of care. From ordering the most appropriate diagnostic tests to making sure you understand
Dr. Mills is exceptional. I would recommend him to anyone
Dr. Mihu is the most intelligent and polite Dr I have ever visited. Her and her nurse Nicole made me feel so welcomed. I have never encountered a doctor who knew so much and asked so many important questions
Dr. Cubbage & Staff replaced a disc that had been destroyed between my 4th and 5th vertebra. This is my 4th month since the surgery in January of 2018. I was very impressed with their dedication
I highly recommend Advanced Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine whenever the need arises for great orthopaedic surgeons.
Excellent care and attention to patients. I recently had a total hip replacement and I am able to walk 6 weeks after surgery with no cane.
Dr. Alain Elbaz is one of the most progressive orthopedic surgeons in the state. I’ve received PRP injections and hyaluronic acid injections in my aging and damaged joints allowing me to continue my daily jogging
This Hospital/clinic is the best that will take care of your pain and ailments. I will never trust any one else but Dr. Alain Elbaz to heal my body.
This office did everything they could to get me in timely after a very bad sprain on my ankle. I saw nurse practitioner Stuart who is very thorough and x-rays and explaining everything to me.
When I started, I couldn’t put any weight on my right leg and now I can do virtually anything. While I hope to not need future therapy, this is without a doubt the place I will return to in the future.