What Is a Shoulder Sprain?
A shoulder sprain occurs when a supporting ligament is overly stretched or torn, potentially allowing the bones within the joint to dislocate or separate. Usually, this type of injury arises when an arm is raised to shoulder level and excessive backward force is applied. Common causes include direct trauma to a shoulder and a fall onto an outstretched arm.
Shoulder sprain types and symptoms
Based on the nature and extent of the ligament damage, a shoulder sprain may be classified as a:
- Grade 1 sprain – The ligaments are stretched or partially torn, but the bones have not separated. Mild pain and swelling can result and possibly interfere with daily activities, such as putting on a shirt or jacket.
- Grade 2 sprain – The ligaments are fully torn, causing moderate pain and swelling.
- Grade 3 sprain – The shoulder joint is completely dislocated. This can lead to severe pain, swelling and bruising.
How is a shoulder sprain treated?
The treatment approach for a shoulder sprain can vary based on the severity of the injury. For instance:
- Grade 1 and 2 shoulder sprains are usually treated with rest, ice and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) to help relieve pain and swelling. To promote healing, a sling may be worn for a few weeks to immobilize the affected arm.
- Grade 3 shoulder sprains may require minimally invasive (arthroscopic) surgery or, if the damage is very severe, a traditional open procedure. For instance, when performing a surgical procedure known as a closed reduction, a surgeon can carefully slip a displaced collarbone back into its proper position. After surgery, the injured shoulder will be immobilized with a “clavicle strap” or figure-eight splint, along with a sling that will be worn for several weeks.
At Advanced Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine of Houston, TX, our orthopedic shoulder specialists offer a full range of conservative and surgical treatment options for shoulder sprains. We typically begin with a conservative approach, then closely monitor the patient’s progress and modify his or her treatment plan as necessary. Patients who require surgery are in good hands with our board-certified and double-board-certified surgeons, who are experienced in performing arthroscopic joint and rotator cuff repairs, shoulder stabilization procedures, minimally invasive shoulder replacements and Latarjet procedures.
To request an appointment at any of our orthopedic clinics throughout the Houston, Texas, area, contact us today.
To request an appointment, please enter the information on the form on the right and press the “Continue” button to start the appointment request process.
1Professional Building II At North Cypress Medical Center
2North Cypress Professional Building At Lakewood Crossing
3North Cypress Professional Building At Towne Lake
4Advanced Orthopaedics Memorial
What Our Patients Are Saying
I had been in so much pain with my back for years. It got so bad that I knew I had to do something. I went to Dr Mohr for help. I was so afraid to have spine surgery as I had heard so many horror stories.
I have to give everyone 5 stars from the front office and staff to Dr. Blalock and Dr. Patel all were great with very professional service.
I would highly recommend Dr. Cubbage if you are having any type of spinal issues. I have seen Dr. Cubbage several times over the last 3 years for lumbar pain and numbness in my left leg.
On Nov. 22, 2017, I had a spinal injection in my lower back and it was an instant miracle in my life!
I have been fighting chronic knee pain for ten years following a knee replacement, a bone infection, and subsequent knee revision surgery. After a number of failed solutions to pain relief, Dr. Patel introduced me to RF
I highly recommend Advanced Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine whenever the need arises for great orthopaedic surgeons.
Always treated promptly and kindly at AOSM. Thanks to Dr Mack and his team.
This Hospital/clinic is the best that will take care of your pain and ailments. I will never trust any one else but Dr. Alain Elbaz to heal my body.
Dr. Patel has been great at my pain relief. She doesn’t force me to take any meds I don’t want, or injections. She will give me the injection I want when I need it. Great friendly Doctor.
This office did everything they could to get me in timely after a very bad sprain on my ankle. I saw nurse practitioner Stuart who is very thorough and x-rays and explaining everything to me.