How to use Crutches
Have your child:
- Stand up straight, shoulders relaxed.
- Hold crutches under arms. Hold handgrips.
- Keep elbows slightly bent.
- Keep injured leg out in front.
- Move crutches forward slightly ahead of “strong” foot while keeping balance on the “strong” leg. With crutches firmly on the floor, push down on hands and hop forward on “strong” leg.
Crutch walking tips:
If your child can put some weight on the injured leg, have him/her:
- Place both crutches forward at the same time.
- Move his/her injured leg forward about even with the crutches.
- Push on the hand grips to limit the amount of weight on the injured leg while he/she steps a little past the injured leg with the “strong” leg.
If no weight can be placed on the injured leg, have your child:
- Keep the injured leg off the floor at all times.
- Move both crutches forward at the same time.
- Step through the crutches with the “strong” leg and do not lean backwards.
- Stand up straight when walking and look ahead rather than watching his/her feet.
- Never lean on the underarm pieces. This can cause nerve damage. He/she should always push down with hands.
- Wear a shoe that has a non-skid sole and fits well on the foot, such as a tennis shoe. Loose-fitting bedroom slippers, backless shoes and bare socks can cause slips and falls.
- Avoid wearing long bathrobes or dresses that might get caught under the crutch tips.
- Remove any small rugs in the kitchen and bathroom that may cause your child to trip. Be very careful of water on the floor in both of these rooms.
- Watch for uneven surfaces and small rocks that could cause your child to fall when he/she is outside.
- If your child has wooden crutches, check the tightness of the wing nuts often to prevent the bolts from becoming loose.
- Replace the crutch tips when they become worn. Your child could slip on the floor if the crutch tips become slick.
- Re-adjust crutches while your child is standing. Have your child place the crutches about six inches in front and slightly to the side of his feet. Adjust the height of the crutches until there is two fingers’ width between your child’s underarms and the top of the crutches.
- Adjust the handgrips until your child’s elbows are slightly bent, about 20 to 30 degrees.
- Be sure to stand next to your child on the steps until he/she is very steady moving up and down them.
To go upstairs, have your child:
- Keep the injured leg and crutches on the ground.
- Push down with his/her hands and hop up onto the steps with the “strong” leg.
- Straighten the “strong” leg and bring the injured leg and crutches up. Repeat.
To go downstairs, have your child:
- Face the stairs.
- Put the crutches and the injured leg on the lower step.
- Push down with his hands.
- Hop down to step on the “strong” leg.
To request an appointment, please enter the information on the form on the right and press the “Continue” button to start the appointment request process.
Houston Knee Specialists
Advanced Orthopedics and sports medicine has numerous Board Certified/Eligible physicians who are thoroughly educated in the latest treatment techniques both surgical and conservative. They are well versed in advances in knee treatments including meniscal transplants, total knee replacements, minimally invasive unicompartmental and total knee replacements
Drs Elbaz and Brooks now perform Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) injections for the treatment of patellar tendonitis, quadriceps muscle injury, bursitis, ligament sprain/tear, hamstring tendonitis or tears. PRP stimulates a more rapid healing of tendon, ligament, muscle and bone.
Contact us today to Schedule an Appointment or call us at 281-955-2650 to learn more about our Knee Treatment options.
1Professional Building II At North Cypress Medical Center
2North Cypress Professional Building At Lakewood Crossing
3North Cypress Professional Building At Towne Lake
4Advanced Orthopaedics Memorial
What Our Patients Are Saying
Each procedure done by Dr. Patel has been an improvement. Very pleased.
Dr. Patel has been a great Doctor for me. When I was referred to after discussion we decided to do injections in my back. The first two did not work so did two more in a different section of my back. These injections worked great. I’m now able to sleep at night and the numbness in my foot is almost gone. The tingling in my foot & leg is gone and I am very happy about that. I am extremely happy that Dr. Patel is my Doctor. She has been a good listener when I tell her where I hurt and talks to me about what she feels should be done. The final decision is always mine.
On Nov. 22, 2017, I had a spinal injection in my lower back and it was an instant miracle in my life! For the first time in 4 intolerable months of pain, I was finally pain free, and I am now getting a second chance to live again! I am so grateful to Dr. Patel for my new life, and to God for guiding me to her! Thank you so very much Dr. Patel – you are God’s gift to me, thank you for being so awesome at what you do.
Dr. Patel is one of the best Doctors I have ever had. She is pretty good at her job. She makes it plain and simple. She is also very thoughtful. I was very glad to have met her. In other words she is pretty good.
The surgery done by Dr. S. Patel (Actually injections) & the mild medications she has prescribed has surely made my lower back -hip-leg less painful. I have complete confidence in her medical judgement & advice. She will administer second injection in June.
Dr. Patel is a very good Pain Management Doctor. She is one of my favorite doctors.
Dr. Patel has been great at my pain relief. She doesn’t force me to take any meds I don’t want, or injections. She will give me the injection I want when I need it. Great friendly Doctor.
Thank you for the opportunity to express how pleased I am with the excellent care of Stacy A. Bacon, M.D. I have confidence in her ability to care for me as she successfully partially replaced a broken hip 10 years ago, 2007. I also want to compliment Cheryl who set up the appointment. She represents Advanced Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine very well.
It’s been over 8 years since Dr. Bacon replaced by right ankle. I still can’t thank her enough for the years of pain free walking I have done since! And I’m still going strong! I had numerous breaks in my ankle due an auto accident, repaired/set by a different doctor, after multiple surgery’s, I was still limping, in great pain every day. Then I found Dr. Bacon, now, no more pain, NONE, and no more limping after this ankle replacement. I rave about her constantly and would recommend her to anyone who has a foot or ankle issue
I had been in so much pain with my back for years. It got so bad that I knew I had to do something. I went to Dr Mohr for help. I was so afraid to have spine surgery as I had heard so many horror stories. He and his staff were very informative. I was amazed at the new technology in spinal surgery. December 8, 2016 I had rods and pins put in my back. I am so happy I did now. I am healing really fast and the pain is going away as my body heals. Thank you Dr Mohr for you expertise and sensitive nature. You were understanding about my fear and helped assure me so I could receive the help I needed. You are an excellent Doctor.